My First Three Reviews

Ah, early reviews. I'd like to say I'm horribly ashamed of my old reviews, because at least that would imply that I felt I've grown enough as a reviewer to harbor some guilt about past mistakes... but honestly, I don't really feel that way. I'm changed as a reviewer, I'm sure, but it's nothing so significant as to be able to condemn my early reviews. But let's take a look at some of the oldest dated reviews here at Amara's Eden; I'm sure I can find something to complain about.

I'm really good at complaining.

The very first post here at Amara's Eden is my very first DNF review, Demon Vampire by Virgil Allen Moore. This was the first book I ever accepted for review, and it was something that I'm not open to doing anymore, honestly; I accepted this one because of an unsolicited PM on GR, which is completely against my current rules! But I was, quite frankly, pleasantly surprised at the time to receive the offer. Someone wanted to know what I thought? For fuck's sake, why?

Unfortunately, Demon Vampire was not a book I enjoyed. I stalled in reading within the first fifty pages or so, and I never could get back into it. As the review says, technical errors and disinterest in the plot teamed up to dispose of any interest I had in the story.

My only real regret with this review was that I didn't provide as many examples of the technical issues as I should have (I opted for one nitpick), but I think I got my point across well enough anyway. For a first review, it's certainly far from terrible.

Next up was my second review book ever, Fright Flight by Lisa Ard. I enjoyed this book much more, as I actually made it through the whole thing. I was pretty long-winded with this one, which doesn't bother me at all really, and I totally stand by my second paragraph. I quite enjoy exploring a book's universe, missed potential, and future possibilities, and that's what I did here.

The discussion of diction, though... I'm not sure I would've put all that in the review if I'd written it now. It kind of depends on how egregious the word choices were, and I certainly can't recall a specific example two years later, so I can't judge for sure.

Again, I'm fairly satisfied with this review, especially considering it was my second attempt!

The next earliest review is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee... and I think this one might have been post-dated? I'm really having a hard time believing that this was the third review I ever wrote; I had been under the impression that I'd read and reviewed this one much later into my blogger/reviewer "career". A mystery!

Either way, I'm also perfectly satisfied with this review. I probably spent a bit too much time talking about the backstory of my relationship with the book and not enough on the book itself, but that's alright--that's the part I had more to say about!

I do think I got a bit too preachy and "high school essay"-esque toward the end of the review, but still... early review. I'm okay with it.

So what do you think; do these reviews measure up to your firsts? And how do you feel about your first reviews--impressed, embarrassed, or otherwise? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Professional Reader

Follow the Blog

Follow

follow us in feedly
© 2012 - 2017 Amara Tanith. Powered by Blogger.

Support the Blog

Amara's Eden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.